Having a clean, organized home not only makes you feel better but it can help you to stay safe and healthy. This is especially important for seniors, as clutter can create fall hazards. We all tend to accumulate belongings and papers and it is easy for our homes to become cluttered. Dust and mildew can be hazardous to your health as well.
Spring is a great time to tackle organizing and cleaning projects. Here are our EasyLiving’s tips for “senior spring cleaning” to ensure home health and safety!
- Remove clutter, especially from primary walking paths and high-traffic areas. Download our free Fall Prevention Checklist to review different areas of the home and reduce the risks of falling.
- Dust ceiling fans and clean blinds and windows.
- Organize your refrigerator and pantry, remove expired food. Consider relocating items for ease of reach and to make them easier to locate.
- Check the condition of outdoor furniture/areas for cleaning and/or removal of worn items. Check the conditions of walking paths, sidewalks and driveways. Remove excess branches and shrubbery; make sure lighting is in working order and sufficient.
- Check the working status of safety devices such as smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and alarm systems. If you do not have a personal emergency response system, consider installing one (this enables you to get assistance quickly if you have a fall or other problem in the home).
- If you are organizing or considering future downsizing, talk to family members about possibly sending them keepsakes or items you would like to give to them. This can reduce feeling overwhelmed in the future and you can enjoy the joy they get from the items and share what they mean to you.
- Organize paperwork and shred unnecessary papers. Consider creating a filing system if you do not have one in place. Make sure you have talked to trusted family members about locations of important papers and information they may need to access.
- Don’t do it alone. Heavy lifting, cleaning tasks, maintenance (especially getting up on ladders) can pose safety issues for you. Make sure to get assistance!
Spring cleaning can make a big difference in your continued health and safety at home, but you don’t need to tackle these projects alone. Home healthcare services like EasyLiving can help, for example:
- Providing regular light housekeeping services to keep things tidy and assist you with chores around the home and errands.
- Setting up a more thorough cleaning and helping connect you with specialty services (estate sales, window cleaners, maintenance/repairs, pest control).
- Assistance cleaning out closets, pantries and reducing clutter.
- Help with special projects: organizing a room, preparing scrapbooks with old photos to send to relatives, labeling containers, mailing packages/items to out-of-town relatives, cleaning outdoor areas and patio furniture, etc.
- Completing a home safety/falls prevention assessment.
- Recommending products like personal emergency response systems. Or, better yet, connecting you with one of our Florida geriatric care managers for a comprehensive safety and wellness assessment with tailored recommendations for your home healthcare.
Contact us at 727-447-5845 for more information about home healthcare services such as light housekeeping and home safety support. EasyLiving serves Pinellas and west Pasco counties in Florida. We’re here to help Florida seniors stay safe, happy and healthy at home!