Heat is a big concern for Florida elder caregivers. During the many hot months in Florida, it is vital for seniors especially to stay cool and safe in the heat. According to the CDC, Elderly people are more prone to heat stress than younger people for several reasons:
- Elderly people do not adjust as well as young people to sudden changes in temperature.
- They are more likely to have a chronic medical condition that changes normal body responses to heat.
- They are more likely to take prescription medicines that impair the body’s ability to regulate its temperature or that inhibit perspiration.
Warning signs of heat exhaustion include:
- Heavy sweating
- Muscle Cramps
- Nausea or vomiting
- Skin: may be cool and moist
- Pulse rate: fast and weak
- Breathing: fast and shallow
During very hot weather, it is important to check in on your elderly loved ones or make sure someone is doing so. You can also encourage them to drink sufficient liquids. If the doctor generally limits fluids or the elder is on a water pill, talk to the doctor about how much liquid should be consumed during hot weather. You can read more about the signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke in the elderly and what to do in the CDC’s article.
Trying to figure out what to do with a Florida senior to stay active while staying cool and safe? Here are some great indoor activities for Florida seniors in Tampa Bay/Pinellas County–Clearwater, St. Pete, Largo and surrounding areas, including ways to save money and free activities for seniors.
We also wrote an article on more general activity ideas for seniors when the weather is not conducive to being outdoors, from creative home-based activities to ways to get exercise and new things to do.
EasyLiving home caregivers help Clearwater area seniors stay active, with transportation services, senior concierge services for special events and trips, as well as assisting with all kinds of activities and companionship.
Feel free to contact us at 727-447-5845 with questions or help keeping your Florida elderly loved one safe any time of year!