Veterans Health Care: Benefits
Under the MyVA Integrated Plan implemented in 2015, Veterans health care is focused on being whole health care versus simply “sick care”. This means Veterans health care is more comprehensive and unified. Some of the benefits that Veterans might receive include:
- Inpatient medical care (co-pays may be required)
- Outpatient care (co-pays may be required)
- Medication (charges depend on priority group)
- Prosthetic and sensory aids
- Durable medical equipment
- Respiratory therapy
- Guide dog (and related care)
- Dental care
- Long-term care
- Home and community based services (such as Veterans home health/companion services)
Eligibility for Veterans Health Care
- Active service with honorable discharge
- Certain VA Benefits require wartime service:
World War II: Dec. 7, 1941 – Dec. 31, 1946
Korean War: June 27,1950 – Jan.31, 1955
Vietnam War: Feb. 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975
Gulf War: August 2,1990 – ???
- Benefits begin when you apply for enrollment
Group 1- Service connected disability (SCD) rated 50% or more or unemployable due to service-connected condition
Group 2 – SCD 30-40%
Group 3 – Former POW’s, Purple Heart, SCD 10%, etc.
Group 4 – Veteran’s receiving Aid and Attendance
Group 5 – Non-service connected Veterans, service connected Veterans meeting certain income/asset thresholds
Group 6 – Group 8, very specific groups and circumstances
Veterans not receiving disability compensation or pension payments must provide a financial assessment. The Financial Assessment includes all household income and net worth. Income and asset limits are adjusted annually.
How to Access Veterans Health Care Benefits
Pinellas County Veterans Services:
You may apply at VA Health Care facility or call 1-877-222-8387.
Documents You Need
- Discharge papers – DD214, DD-215
- Veteran’s marriage certificate
- Veteran’s death certificate
- Veteran’s birth certificate
- Veteran’s Children’s birth certificate
For more information, check out Linda Chamberlain’s presentation on VA benefits, presented on SlideShare.
Contact us at 727-447-5845 for questions about Veterans health care, elder care needs and more. Stay tuned for our next Veterans post about VA diasbility, pensions and Aid & Attendance. These are programs many of our elder Veteran clients benefit from and you should know about!