Here are some tips for some great activities to do in the Tampa Bay/Clearwater area (and beyond) during the heat of summer. You may also wish to read our summertime senior activity tips post, for ideas on things to do at home and other resources. Stay cool, stay active and enjoy yourself no matter the temperature! For senior caregivers, we hope this list gives you some ideas to keep things varied and provide enrichment.
Local points of interest:
- The Clearwater Marine Aquarium, home of motion picture star, Winter the dolphin. Clearwater Marine Aquarium offers senior citizen discounts as well as discounts on packages (behind the scenes tours and eco safaris). Read more about Winter’s Story here.
- The Salvador Dali museum, a beautiful new museum in St. Petersburg, Florida. Seniors get a $3 discount over standard tickets. They also offer $10 admission every Thursday evening (5-8 P.M.) and memberships which include unlimited admissions and other perks.
- Clearwater’s Ruth Eckerd Hall offers a broad range of entertainment for all interests. Read their special page about accessibility services (seat accomodations, sign language interpretation, etc.). They offer ticket package discounts and have some matinee shows and “boxed lunch” performances.
- A unique local museum is the Armed Forces Military Museum located in Largo, Florida. They offer online coupons for a discount as well as memberships.
- Another educational visit to consider is the Florida Holocaust Museum. Parking is free and they offer a $2 senior discount and also list special events on their website.
Some other indoor activity ideas and tips:
- Check out the latest movie at a matinee (those theaters are super cool!). Theaters often offer senior citizen rates and special early movie prices. Muvico Theaters, for example, offers a free summertime film festival with family movies and discounted prices on food and drink.
- Watch a favorite movie at home. The local library may have a number of your favorites on hand, for free.
- Westfield Countryside (AKA Countryside Mall) offers complimentary wheelchairs and electric scooters.
- Seminole Town Center opens early every day for mall walkers (9 A.M. Monday-Saturday and 11 A.M. on Sunday). For more on their Mall Walkers Club, sponsored by Florida Hospital Fish Memorial, read this or contact them at (386)917-5063.
- If you like art (or want to release your inner artist), check out Dunedin Fine Arts Center for a variety of workshops and classes. Your closest senior center should also offer a variety of courses. Here is a list of Pinellas County Senior Centers. Many communities also have options such as “Paint Your Own Pottery” stores. Painting with a Twist in St. Petersburg and Tampa provides supplies and the opportunity to create a painting along with a local artist in a fun atmosphere and also offers private parties.
Some other good resources for things to do in the Clearwater and Tampa Bay area:
The Clearwater Beach Chamber of Commerce-“Things to Do”
TBO Extra-entertainment, top spots, and things to do around Tampa Bay
EasyLiving caregivers are here to help! We can provide transportation, escort/senior concierge services to help elderly individuals get out to special events and outings. We provide senior companions and assistance around the home to stay active and engaged.
Contact us today for Pinellas home caregiving services, senior concierge and transportation in Clearwater, Largo, Belleair, St. Petersburg, Dunedin and more…